Thursday, December 6, 2012

Protect your neck


I'm almost a bit ashamed to admit that I've never wore a helmet while snowboarding. Last spring decided that I need to start wearing one. This is in part due to the fact that I now have a small child. It's a life changing experience and all of a sudden you just start thinking about these things (being safe) and taking it all a bit more seriously.

For some reason helmets still seem to be a taboo in the snowboarding community. I'm really surprised to see that pros only wear them at contests. Big mountain riders seem to be way ahead of the rest. I guess it's just pig-headedness. We should all have learned something from Kevin Pearce's head injury. We shouldn't need a wake-up call like that.

It's really cool to see that the Finnish Snowboarding Association has started a campaign to raise awareness about head protection and making the young realize that it's not uncool to be safe. A lot of the top Finnish boarders are onboard and endorsing this campaign.

I'm actually really happy with my decision and I can't wait to start the season wearing a helmet. I've been lucky enough not to have any major accidents or injuries... so far. I'm not too eager to tempt fate. And hey. Terje - probably the coolest boarder out there (still) - is wearing one. So let's all gear up and helmet on.

Here's my weapon of choice.


No comments: